Thursday, November 5, 2009

Use a Model or Not to Use a Model: Watercolor



My mother like the one in above better because it was more realistic I guess, and the one below looks like a ghost, I think that so too, I think it was because the first one I looked at the model all the time when I paint this, and the other one, the one that looked like a ghost (the one below) were drawn by using imagination (at least half of it) because my model run out on me to go swimming (well she was only 5 years old), so I guess the conclusion is when you paint someone without using the real model and instead just rely on your imagination, your result might be just like any other imaginary faced (that looks like more like a cartoon) then a realistic one.

The first picture and the picture below it I use first layer of orange wash at first, just like a doodle without so much shaping, just general wash, even the form of the face are not defined yet, and then I add the hair, on the first picture I add Prussian blue on the mix to make the hair, and on the second picture just pure orange wash, and then I add the details like eyes (try to shape an eye) using the same orange but with darker tone to define the eyes, then tried to shape the nose (but always fail) by adding two twin dark holes then try painstakingly but yet always fail to make the mouth, but I know how now, just paint a straight line (the middle line that divide the lips) and then add the shadow under the lips to define the lips, try not to paint the lips because it would looked garish and so out of place if you define the lips too much (this is working on the second picture, the 2nd try on painting people), but I guess I need a lot of work to do since none of the pictures above looked any human to me.

Anyhow, I think I like the first picture (the 1st try) better then the second one, because it looks more realistic, and I guess it's because I paid attention to details at the first picture, while on the second picture I just imagine it and paint or draw something that not there. So I guess (maybe as a beginner) a model for painting is a must, at least until you are experienced enough to paint realistically without model.

No comments:

Post a Comment